What does a tooth look like?May 8, 2008
Teeth have two parts:
- The crown is the part of the tooth we can see in our mouths.
- The root of the tooth is ‘planted’ into the jawbone to keep the tooth steady while it is doing its job.
Teeth have three layers:
- Enamel, a hard protective outer layer covering the crown of the tooth.
- Dentine, a second protective layer covering the nerve of the tooth.
- Pulp (also called the nerve), the soft middle of the tooth that has a blood supply and nerve endings.